Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why no one, least of all children, should see "Date Movie"

I went and saw Date Movie, and it was awful. I kind of knew that before I saw it, but it was the only matinee I could make. Still, in retrospect, I should have just left. That would have saved even more money, and saved time (which was, unfortunately, killed in the incident). I like something about Alyson Hanigan, or whatever her name is, for a reason I can't quite figure out, but that was not nearly enough to save the movie. It was just unfunny. It was gross, of course, as all "comedies" these days must be, for some reason. And I like gross humour sometimes (take, for instance, the bridge scene in Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail, or Will Sasso's satires of home improvement shows for Mad TV), but in this case, it was just unfunny.

Also, more disturbingly (and this has nothing to do with why I thought the rest of the movie was unfunny), it glorified brutally assaulting homeless people. It was apparently supposed to make the audience laugh that the main characters' feelings of jubilation made them want to assault a homeless man. I like outrageous jokes (like Craig Ferguson saying that Gandhi defecated in "his diaper"), and if I thought that it was completely inconceivable that anyone would do such a thing, I might even have laughed at the gag, but I was sitting there thinking about all the homeless people who really were beaten to death by seriously evil youths, and about the how some children might be starting to get the impression that homeless people aren't people at all, and that doing violence to them is funny.

I'm not saying that Date Movie should be banned by the authorities. I'm saying that people shouldn't encourage them by paying to see it. Even though they have a right to show whatever they want, we have a right not to watch it. And if we're going to say "It's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their children watch," then those among us who have children owe it to them not to let them watch this garbage. Besides, if you boycott it, you're not missing out. As I said before, the movie is unfunny - and it would be even if it hadn't featured the beating of a homeless man.

Backlog Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home